Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Balance

My word of the week is Balance...

Balance: n. 1. a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight or amount. 2. mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.

Wow. As much as I use this word, I was surprised by definition #2, and how much I actually crave that. To some, I seem to have this steadiness and calm behavior and judgment in my life; to others, the know how "off the wall" I can be. 
The reason for choosing this word was twofold. I was thinking about how much the ropes course this weekend required balance. At one point in my life, I had zero (physical) balance. I would attempt to stand on one leg and I would immediately lose it. Things have changed a great deal. I can now stand on one leg for an extraordinary amount of time. How did I get there? Practice. Practice. Practice. I took yoga, I trained in the gym, I used the stability ball, I used the half ball (that is my favorite.) At times, I would fall, in front of others, and feel embarrassed. Yet, I kept practicing. Thank goodness I did, as I would have not been able to do parts of the ropes course without said balance.
The behavioral and emotional balance is my main challenge. There's the balance of my life activities and the balance of my emotions. I am hoping with practice, I can become as "skilled" in these areas as I am in the physical, but I question when this day will come. 
Yesterday, I was looking at my fall schedule. I will be in full time online graduate classes, working 30 hours a week (two different projects), volunteering on another project, heading up the BHSO (the organization I decided to become president of... smart one), working on our local tasks forces, and attempting to take a couple of trips... one for a professional conference, one for a serenity weekend, and hopefully a couple of football games. Oh, and I will attempt to eat right, exercise, and sleep with this schedule. The funny thing is, I never once considered these ALL together when signing up for all of the above. I didn't consider the whole plate and what might cause it to tip over. This seems to be an ongoing pattern in my life. I get excited about various tasks, I sign up, for them all, then I sit down and look at my life and say "Oh crap, what happened?" Yes. Balance is missing. Suggestions? Other than an amazing organizer and calendar alerts...
I just realized the emotional balance ties into all of the above. If I am on an even keel emotionally, I would probably not get in these "tackle the world spots," nor would I sit down one day and be overwhelmed by all I decided to tackle. The emotionally balanced person would more than likely evaluate these things as they come, and not decide on pure emotion. They would learn to think rationally... Maybe? Who knows. 
Today, I just know I will be attempting some balance in my life. I will be pulling out the schedules, adjusting them all, keeping my "me" time in there somewhere, and prioritizing my life. I must. After all, I would like to survive graduate school, balanced and steady, and continue to Fly... 

1 comment:

  1. You asked for suggestions on balancing a busy schedule: Yes, calendar, alarm clocks, organization, planning. One of the things that has worked for me is taking care of the little things in a timely fashion (examples: going through snail mail every day and either filing, throwing away or handling that very day [i.e., making a necessary phone call, scheduling an appointment, paying a bill, etc., etc]). I spend a portion of each day planning for the next day and sometimes for the next week or even month. One thing that I plan to begin is getting up earlier each morning (I will have to do this gradually as I don't do mornings very well). Thanks for sharing and for allowing me to comment. Mom

    ReplyDelete