Monday, July 21, 2014

Alison

A dear friend died on Friday. She was such a light in my life through very dark times. We had similar health concerns but hers were far more serious than mine... Yet you wouldn't know it at the time. 

She would give me the shirt off her back if I needed it, even gave me shoes for confirmation Sunday (those who know me understand the fashion emergencies I tend to have)... She helped me when I went through my bouts of depression and anxiety and I was able to help her through hers... We had that bond... The one where you feel absolutely comfortable with someone, like we were friends forever. We could walk into each other's homes like they were our own. We went through choir, confirmation, Lenten season, and general life circumstances together. She held me together as life fell apart. In part, because her daughter was away at college and she had a major maternal instinct. She made me want to do better but to also take care of me. She always stressed that, as she saw me always going without rest, she knew I would burn out... 

People want to know how she died. I cannot say for sure at this time. More important is how she lived. She lived selflessly. She lived to sing. To take care of her cats. To read outlander and play bunko. To participate in DOK. Mostly, to be the best mom to her daughter she can be. 

As I sit in her apartment, I still can't believe she's gone. Naturally, I had to write. I will say she have me the greatest gift of friendship and was sure to know she was grateful for me... As I was grateful for her. Be sure to let those you love know that... That's the best gift we can give. The gift of friendship. Thank you, Alison, thank you 


1 comment:

  1. Alison loved nothing more than helping someone else! I'm glad she could be there for you and you for her. I still miss my friend every day. She hovers on the edges of my mind constantly and then steps out into the front of it on occasion. I still find myself tearing up in traffic or at church now, a bit more than a month later. I wish I could out and out cry, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards - just this crazy tearing up. Alison was a blessing to everyone she loved. I'm so glad you got to be in on that very special experience.

    ReplyDelete