Sunday, November 16, 2014

Human being vs human doing...

Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows that I rarely meet a stranger. I'm extraordinarily extroverted, and tend to be a doer. I've been that way my entire life.
In elementary school, I had events lined up all week- from piano to choir to sporting events to girlscouts- my afternoon and evening schedule rarely had a free moment, unless there was some break or summer. 
My mom was the same way, she still is... She belongs to more social clubs that I can count, has always worked at least 60 hours a week, and even in retirement, has two paid jobs.
My dad? Complete opposite. He can't do crowds, doesn't really like to be around people, stays to himself, fishing, and his wife. 
But where is the line?
Yes, my mom and I are helpers, and that can be fabulous, but what about helping ourselves? 
I didn't start getting slowed down until I got sick last year, but now I'm finding I rather enjoy more me time, and less busy-ness. While I'm still a social butterfly, I crave the days of just lounging, or the hours of being by myself (or with a friend) outside. I must have those times. If I don't, my over-doing stresses me out, and then I'm no good to anyone. 
I don't know if age has made me this way, if it's permanent, or if I'll turn back into my mother when it comes to bejng an over-doer. I do know what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. 
What's working for me today- finding a balance. I've had to cut out some toxic people in my life, add healthier relationships, and re-vamp my schedule to include more time for me and less time for everything else. For today, this works. Does it mean I drop everything? No. I still have volunteer commitments. I still love to help. But I'm finding the line between over-doing it and taking the time for solitude, which helps myself.
May you find whatever works for you. 
Love and Light 

No comments:

Post a Comment