Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lesson of the week... more of a ponderable really...

This week's lesson is one I probably learn every week... Or at least think on every week...

"Textversation..."
is not a reliable method of communication,
and should not be treated as such...
Can lead to rounds and rounds of confusion...
rather than real, genuine conversation...

How many times does someone misread a text, or have their text misunderstood? The tone, inflection, just missing punctuation can make all the difference in the world. Not to mention the fact that a text is not guaranteed... when I am talking to someone, I know they are there. I know they hear me. I do not have to assume they are reading the text and hesitating or ignoring me. I get an automatic answer. Texts? Those can take hours. That then leads to more uncertainty... did I say something wrong? Are they ignoring me? Did they get my text? Did I send it to the wrong person? My goodness, the madness!
So my question is this... why do we use them so much? Is it the convenience factor? Is it a way to "hide" behind your wall of cellular device? Is it a way to multitask when we can't "talk" on the phone? Whatever the reason, I personally rely on texts way too much. I set myself up to be placed in awkward situations, to be put off, or put others off, to be misunderstood, or misunderstand others, all because it's available and easy. So why not take a minute to actually call? Why not skype or facetime? This is much more personal a method of communication.
While typing this, I am realizing this has turned in to more of a weekly "ponderable" than a weekly "lesson" but I know one thing is for sure... I am no longer going to allow texts to have so much power over my life... I want to be present in others lives and wish for their presence as well... so call. Take time to sit still and draft a letter. Send a card. Skype. Facetime. But let's all give the world of text a break.
Whatever your thoughts about texts, I hope take away the following from tonight's post: enjoy those you love near and far, respect one another, be kind... and as always, don't forget to FLY <3

P.S. I must say, I do have some hysterical textversations with some of my besties, and even some moving, inspirational ones.... but there is often a "pitfall beyond the payoff"... hey, I will have to use that more often... pitfall beyond the pitfall... ok good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment