Monday, August 22, 2011

Words to live by...

Discipline. Determination. These will need to be tattooed to the backs of my eye lids for the next four months. Typically, I am a fairly disciplined and determined person. I have been able to force myself to do the unimaginable... waking up at 4am to go serve coffee to irate customers, carrying a full time course load while working multiple jobs, waking up at 4am to workout daily, even prepping for the most grueling procedures... including drinking large amounts of disgusting fluid and not eating for 48 hours in order to have a tube shoved up my rear. All because those were things I had to do at the time. Either for monetary gain, physical or emotional health, all done as a means to survive. Then there are the tasks I take on that are not related to survival in any way, I just do them because I want to. Everything I do, regardless of survival or want, I do it with a certain amount of discipline and a great amount of determination.
Today reminded me how much I value these assets in my life, and how completely necessary they will be this semester. I find myself taking a full load of online graduate level classes, working two jobs, and carrying on with other various tasks (a previous blog discussed my current "busyness" so I will spare the space.) Not only will this semester require an increased level of mental attention, it will also require the physical.
This is where I get off track. I can do the mental for prolonged periods of time. I have done it. For years. The physical is another story. I will decide I am going to eat right, clean up my lifestyle, work out on a regular basis, and this will last for about two weeks. Recently, I decided I will limit caffeine, processed foods, starches, and sugars. For the entire semester. I started on Thursday and feel great. The semester started today. I can only hope I will have the amount of determination and discipline required to carry on. Not just to "look" good, but more so to feel good, to BE healthy. To eliminate symptoms of gastritis, sugar hangovers, caffeine induced nausea, withdrawal induced migraines, etc. Because if I am going to survive the mental, I am finding I must take care of the physical.
So, friends, these are my words. Not just for today, but every day. Discipline, determination. Words to live by. Fly

2 comments:

  1. Love it and needed a reminder about both words! Thanks! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switched from copious amounts of caffeine to water and it was the best decision I have ever made for my health. Best of luck and wishes to you! John O'Keefe

    ReplyDelete