Friday, August 24, 2012

Settle me, please...

We all know moving sucks. There is no way around that. But for some reason, this move is more difficult than my cross country move (ok, I am being a bit dramatic, but hear me out)... maybe it is because I have a lot less time to move. No, that's not it. I did work up until the week before leaving Florida. Then again, I had tons of hands helping me pack, get rid of things, pack more, load, etc. etc. Here, I do not have as many hands. I have, well, me. (I do have one friend who helped me get things for the apartment and will hopefully be there Sunday and Monday- thanks, Celia) So that's one difference.
I think the main difference is I want everything to be perfect. I need to be settled. I didn't realize how much so until this week. (My moving history is minimal... I did have multiple moves between the ages of 16 and 21, but I didn't care back then, I was too messed up to care. And before that, I lived in the same house since birth.) The move to Tampa was rough, but I moved to my own place, a huge 2 BR condo, and stayed there for two years. Since arriving in Oakland, I have been living in a tiny room with hardly any space to walk around in, let alone breathe. In someone else's place, with half of my belongings in storage. I chose it this way because I wanted to get out here and learn the area before committing to a lease.
Little did I know what renting and moving would be like... it is extremely rushed. You go to an open house, pull out your cash, credit reports, bank statements, pay stubs, completed app, and hope you beat someone to the punch. That was the tough part. That happened last week? The week before? I've lost track. Then comes the walk through, waiting on keys, etc. All of that happened this week? Last week? I've lost track. All while working a lot, trying to space plan my new place, get everything "perfect" (that's my main problem), and breathe. I really need to be settled.. did I mention that?
About my place, because I do need some gratitude here- it is AMAZING. Perfect location, downtown and lakeside- walking distance to Chinatown, Jack London Square, Lake Merritt, everything- first Friday, farmer's market, you name it, it's there. And it's a beautiful place. Yet, there is absolutely nothing in it- no curtain rods, not even in the bathroom, the washer and dryer hook ups are in too small a space to adequately place a washer and dryer, and there's a no putting holes in the wall rule that we were not told about until after the least was signed. And we were not told we needed a ventless dryer until after lease was signed.
So how did this week go? Hired movers. Rented truck. Haven't packed yet. Did shop. Attempted to put together some furniture. Failed miserably. Found a ventless dryer. Drove "45 mins" (took 2.5 hours due to traffic) to get said dryer. Had to change out the cord (that's a mcguyver move I learned in tampa when you have a 3 prong and need a 4)... paid for a washer that is to be delivered tomorrow, and now the washer will not fit because the dryer door needs to be able to open (duh, right?) Oh, and about the washer- delivery guys were supposed to meet me there at 1 today. Called them at 1:15 after rushing home between meetings and waiting for them, they asked to come tonight. Had my roommate get off work to meet them at 4:30, they called and asked to come tomorrow. They damn sure better be there at 10am tomorrow and try to stack that washer on our dryer. Or I might just lose it. Oh, and I'm on day 5 of gluten free. Someone give me a freaking cookie. Please.
So there we have it friends, my movers will be here in less than 36 hours and what I do have in my room is not packed. And I am supposed to work an event tomorrow.
Sorry for the negative nancy update, but it can't all be rainbows and flowers all the time, right? Just think, next time this week, I will be living in luxury with Space! In my own place. That's enough for me.
Love to all, light to all
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment