Saturday, June 2, 2012

Road tripping....

Well, not even half way there, and I understand why people say your patience will be tested and you and your driving mate will hate each other halfway through. It's difficult when two people are trying to run the show. We had our first mini spat this morning, but seem to be working through it. I am thinking this will be a good bonding experience for me and "dad"... if we don't kill each other first.
So far, the details of the trip haven't been that eventful, as we are doing a lot of night driving. There are things I wanted to see (Ozarks), but could not due to timing.
The highlight of this journey so far was our stop in Oxford, MS to see my Spons. She welcomed us with a whole gaggle of our friends, cooked breakfast for us, let us rest and shower, showed me Ole Miss, and just a great visit in general.
I planned the route around that stop, which is why there isn't much to report from the road as of yet. We have been through FL, AL, MS, TN (for 5 mins), AR, and are now driving through Oklahoma. I love OK so far, surrounded by the Spirits of my Ancestors. I look forward to seeing the state since we are now on day driving. We have about 14 hours to go before Flagstaff, so we may or may not stop in New Mexico. I would love to, but we need to get to Flagstaff by tomorrow so we can see Grand Canyon and Sedona (my choice), and get to Oakland by Wednesday.
Logistics of driving has been the most interesting (and somewhat terrifying) part of this whole experience. I am guessing that if I can drive a 16 footer and tow my CRV on a flatbed, I can drive nearly anything. The biggest scare was last night- us vs. deer. I had to slam on breaks, which is really a bad idea... I thought for sure we would flip. Or at least lose the CRV off the flatbed. Neither happened, thank God. There was a very nice man who witnessed the whole deal and happened to stop at the same rest stop as us 50 miles later. He has spent years doing cross country drives, and suggested we definitely stay at 55 or below. He has seen far too many flip. So that was a nice thought. LOL. He was saying it with good intention, I am sure.
Another highlight of the trip was last night, getting to skype "home" to the best group of people I know. I was "supposed" to actually leave after visiting them last night, so I skyped in instead.
The timing could not have been better, as I had just received word my Gma was put in hospital. She never gets sick, other than her dementia. Ever. But they say she had a stroke. Now I see why I had to leave early, why mom could not come, etc. etc. If we had not left early, I would still be in Tally with Gma. Grateful mom is there with her.
This is probably the most boring blog I have written thus far, but it is early, I am still not fully awake, and it was time to update on the road trip.
Fly.

1 comment:

  1. Be safe!and don't think people don't see this blog. :-) Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete