Thursday, June 14, 2012

My First Week in the "other" Bay Area...

... Definitely not the Tampa Bay Area! It hardly seems like it has only been a week since arriving in the SF Bay Area. Maybe because it has been two weeks since I left Florida. Or maybe because I have hit the ground running. Who knows? I arrived in Oakland last Wednesday, moved in to my temporary residence Thursday, and started work Monday. I use the term "moved in" loosely because I am not quite moved in, nor will I be until I find a more permanent place in September. Moving sucks. So keeps as many boxes packed as necessary is my goal.
I should also mention I am not sure what actual city I live in... Google says Oakland, Bing calls it Emeryville. Mail can be sent to either city and it comes here. This part of the Bay Area is strange like that... you go one block left, you are in Emeryville. A few blocks to the right, you get Berkeley. I can tell which city I am in at any given moment by the color of the street signs. Emeryville is blue, Berk is brown, Oaktown is green (I think). Our signs say Oakland. The USPS and some utility companies say Emeryville. Just a little odd note I wanted to mention.
So far, I have been in to "the city" (SF) two or three times? I have seen a friend from back home (Tally) a few times, and had several home cooked meals by friends. I love that. Move to a brand new city, make instant friends, or randomly have a friend from Tally show up because she has job interviews here. Awesome! I have also fallen in love with a 4 year old named Jacia and her mom, Cassie. They are a great family and I am glad to be included in their ventures.
The bulk of my adventures here so far have been work related or transportation related. I have learned what shoes are not going to work for work, and to pay attention when I get on a train. That last part is very important. I ended up at the end of the BART line (Fremont) when I needed to go 20 mins away to San Francisco. Oops! Glad my colleagues are understanding, and realize this Florida girl is definitely not in Florida anymore.
My job is beyond great. It is a big change for me because I have coworkers and supervisors who are all about empowering each other to make decisions on projects. This is much different than the land of academia. I was blessed with a great professor my last year or so of GAship, but it is still much different in this type of setting. It's difficult at times because I feel like I need to constantly ask if I can do this or that, for direction in general, etc.... when really, I can just do. As long as it is in line with our values and mission as an organization. Which is another thing... How wonderful is it to work for an organization that shares such vision. To have like-minded colleagues and community members. I can't say enough about that. Refreshing. I just have to stop doubting myself and realize I wouldn't be here if it wasn't my purpose and passion.
I am sure I am missing a lot about my first week here, but I am beyond tired. My body hasn't decided to fully adjust yet, so I am not sleeping as I should be. That will come. There is also a lot of excitement about being here, mixed with fear and anxiety, but that will pass.
Over the next few months, I do need to decide where I will ultimately settle. There are many pros to the East Bay... one major pro is it is much quieter than the city, and there are numerous nature spots right out my back door. I also have to consider my headquarters is in the East Bay. While I will be going in to the city to meet with other project staff, my office is here. Then, there is the financial piece. Everywhere is expensive here. Completely expensive. The food is cheap (thank you, Trader Joes and Berkeley Bowl) but the housing and transportation are outrageous. Go across the bridge and it is even more outrageous. I do love the city though. Luckily, I do not have to make that decision tonight, but it will be on my mind this summer as finding housing can be a lengthy process too.
For tonight, I am grateful to be here, extremely proud to be part of such an awesome community and the NAHC, and happy I made it here in one piece :) I am also grateful my China is adjusting better than I am. That's most important :)
Love to all, light to all,
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment