Thursday, June 7, 2012

Road trippin- the whole story

So I am finally taking time to write about the logistics of this road trip. I had to rest up enough to put together two thoughts with any amount of clarity.
We started in Florida, and decided to go up to Memphis and do the I-40W route to get to Arizona. Mainly because I wanted to see a good friend in Oxford, MS, and that was on the way to Memphis (kind of)- then I also had to see Arizona.
The original plan was a full day in Sedona and a full day in the Grand Canyon, then go up to Vegas and then Oakland. That changed. We were tired, I am still tired. We spent one day doing both places in Arizona (that makes for one very long day), and then decided to head to Sequoia National Park on the way to Oakland. That stop wasn't terribly far out of the way. Between all of these places, I must go back and hike in Sedona and Sequoia. Slide Rock Park in Sedona and Lodge Pole Campground in Sequoia. I think those are the names... The beauty of being on this coast is I can go back.
I should back track and say between Memphis and Arizona, there wasn't much I was able to see because we did mostly night driving. I wanted to see the Ozarks, but need to be considerate of my driving mate (step dad) and realize that if I stopped to see it all, I would never get to my new home. I did see a lot of Oklahoma and enjoyed that more than I expected. We only had to drive through 200 or so miles of Texas so that was awesome.
My favorite drive was through Albequerque, the night lights are gorgeous. My favorite day drive is Arizona of course. Beyond beautiful.
I will be honest here and say this long a drive came with consequences. I almost hit a deer on one of my night drives, and nearly had a panic attack... this is not good when driving a 16 footer and towing a car via flatbed tow. Slamming on brakes can flip those easily, so we are blessed to be alive. The other incident occurred in Arizona. We drove the CRV through our stops and stumbled upon a nail somewhere along the way. The tire was patched and we were back on our way. The next incident (the scariest) occurred near Fresno, in a city named Visalia. As I was driving, the road shifted and the truck started shaking. This happened a lot because well, it's a big freaking truck. But then I heard sputtering and smelled rubber... yes, blown tire. I am not sure how I managed to calmly pull over, but again, we are fortunate to be alive.
Back to the logistics of the trip... Other than our designated stops, there were many stops at travel centers and I have a new found love for the ease of these centers. Shower, laundry, food, etc., a lot cheaper than hotels! We did get tired of this and the last two nights on the road were spent in hotels.
By far, the most noteworthy part of our adventure was our last night on the road. We managed to get all the way to Tracy, Ca (an hour from Oakland) without having to back up. That's apparently the worst thing you can do when towing a car. Well, we pull in to the hotel thinking the parking lot wraps all the way around and it does not. After 15 tries, 15 near jack-knifes, and a lot of expletives, my dad finally asks for help. Who does he ask? The three guys partying it up with a case of beer in the parking lot. Of course. One has a class A license. Of course. I am sure these guys are still talking about us, as this seemed to be the highlight of their week. After about a 35-point turn, and a lot of excitement, we were safely parked for the night. The next day, we dropped the trailer in Oakland, and then finally took the truck back today. What day is it?
Goodness, I am more tired after writing this all. I am sure there is more I will recall after loading pictures and such, but for now, I am grateful to be nearly settled in Oakland. At least the truck is unloaded and back to Budget. I am still slightly resentful that the tire blew and the gas was 11 miles to the gallon. Suggestion- do more research before deciding what company to use, if you must rent a truck and do it yourself. I would say use a company, but only for things that you do not mind being damaged or lost. At least this way, I know my sentimentals are safe. I may not be able to find everything right now (that's a whole other blog... my need to have everything in it's "right place") but my things are with me.
One final note- traveling with China. I am fortunate she is such an easy cat. She literally did zero kvetching throughout this whole road trip, which is more to say for myself. (Sorry for yelling at you Jon, when driving through the dust storm! Okay, and a few other times) Back to China, she would hang in the CRV when it was cool enough, ride with us other times, sleep with us, eat when she wanted, the litter did get stinky, but it all worked out. She is now happily enjoying the pillow top bed as a queen should be, waiting for me to join. Goodnight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment