Sunday, June 24, 2012

Almost three weeks later...

I am still here :) I would say week 2 in the bay, but it feels like I've been here much longer! I have had my emotional moments, my culture shock, sticker shock, whoa moments, but I feel I am adapting...
I came out here at a great time, I was able to experience my first big Pride. Words cannot describe it. I've never seen so many people so happy to just be existing in one space, all like minded, all filled with LOVE. (At this point, if you need to google Pride, go ahead) There were more people than I am usually comfortable being around, but well worth it. The only thing I can compare it to is International friends of bill conference, but a lot more pink and rainbows ha. I also learned that nudity is decriminalized in SF. Eek. This small town girl got her eyes full! I do think it should be illegal for hairy old men- gross. But whatever.
So this was my week in a nutshell- a lot of work, an injury Monday, fought off a cold all week (I won- thank you EmergenC!), then Pride. I started the festivities by volunteering and hanging with BAAITS (Bay Area American Indian Two Spirit) on Friday night and we watched the tranny march from the 4th floor patio of the SF LGBT community center. Amazing!
Yesterday, I divided my time between a pow wow in Richmond, and Pink Saturday at Delores Park. I only got to help set up at pow wow and would have liked to stay all day. The great thing about being here is we have them all the time! I always felt I was missing that part of my culture in previous cities I lived in. Here, I get to connect and embrace my roots (as we all should!) After set up, and fry bread of course, I went over to pink Saturday. It was almost too much to handle, but I quickly found some friends and watched the march from church and 16th. I did video the dykes on bikes, but my iPhone went stupid :( I'm sure I can find it on YouTube. Goal next year- find a dyke and ride on her bike. I've been told I am cute enough to make this happen.
Today, was the big parade. I have never walked in a parade like this. What's awesome is I walked with BAAITS. We had elders in dress walking with us and many in the crowd appreciated our presence. The best part is our grand Marshall is natives, and we were near the very beginning of the parade (#9 out of like 199) which we greatly appreciate as a group. Goal next year- a float for NAHC and BAAITS- we could make it a community event for our 2Spirit work! (More about the work I do later)
I also wanted to go in to a whole other discussion now about macro insults and micro insults, but I will save that for another time. Basically, I had the opportunity to educate some people in the SF ROTC contingency about dressing as natives and booty dancing... They are not native and it was not a representation I appreciated. But I did my part by letting them know, and they apologized. I did tell them we weren't attacking or angry, just wanted to educate. I will write more on that later, as I am still learning.
I also have more to share about work and culture, but basically- I am so blessed to be here.
Oh, I was questioning whether I truly belonged here just because a series of unfortunate events occurred and I was frustrated. However, I met with the medicine man Friday and he confirmed what I already knew- the Universe has seen fit that I end up here, I am right where I belong. How many people get to work in areas they are 100% passionate about, all while learning more about heritage, and connecting to amazing people? That is simply a gift, and I am grateful to accept it.
I have so much more to say, but time for Sunday chores so I can start the week off right! Excuse any grammatical or structural errors, using iPad app and being lazy :)
Love to all, light to all
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment