Saturday, November 30, 2013

A different kind of Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving used to be my favorite holiday. Next to New Year's of course. It was always very consistent... At least in my memories. We would have a huge family meal with our Alabama family and it was usually a family trip (not sure about my dad as I can't recall if he went or not). When we weren't with my mom's family in Alabama, we would be at my Nanny's in Sycamore. (Again, my memory isn't clear as I mostly think of Alabama when I think of Thanksgiving)... All of that started to change when I started moving around a lot at age 18, but I still managed to spend it with family... When I wasn't in treatment anyway. Two years ago, I spent it with other family in Tampa because I couldn't get away due to work in grad school. Last year, I was living out here in SF but spent Thanksgiving in St. Louis. This year, the plan was to go to the Indigenous People's Sunrise Gathering at Alcatraz then have dinner with a friend at her church. However, that friend got sick. We did get to go to ceremony, but did not get to eat. I was able to make her veggie soup and teas and watch movies with her and help watch her daughter. It was definitely a different thanksgiving but reminded me of how lucky I am to have family everywhere I go. I think I must get that trait from my mother- the ability to build community and family wherever I am. Don't get me wrong, I've become a lot more of a loner since moving to SF but I still seek and build community. Not just Friends of Bill either. I'm grateful for this. Do I get scared or homesick? Yes. Of course. But I also believe the general nature of people is to want to be with other people. We crave community. We build those relationships. I've had a harder time doing that here than everywhere else, but it's happened and I'm grateful. I keep a very small circle here but it's been my circle and I'm grateful. I will surely miss my Bay Area family. And yes, I did get a thanksgiving meal as we had dinner (lunch) at my friend's daughter's school Wednesday (in the Redwood forest!) and I had leftovers at another friend's house yesterday (Brussel sprouts, parsnips, and yams at least! So good!). I did not shop, as I never do on Black Friday and I'm downsizing anyway. I am packing for my cross country move (yes, I'm crazy to do this twice in less than two years) and selling things rather than buying. I'd be happy if buyers would line up at my house, just come in peace :)
Love and Light,
DBear

1 comment:

  1. Growth; such growth! I love you way past the sky!

    ReplyDelete