Monday, September 10, 2012

Adaptable Me...

Okay, so I have had this draft saved for a few days... time to post now. I am no longer in a funk, it always passes..
There are times when I feel I have absolutely nothing to write, yet a lot to write... if that makes any sense... maybe there are just too many thoughts going through my mind at once and making them coherent enough for a blog post is overwhelming... oh, the pressure. No, not really, I just like perfection and clean, structure... when there is too much to write, I'd rather write nothing. So stepping out of that zone, here I go...
It has been three months since I arrived to Oakland. I am now living downtown... moved last week or the week before? I do love my place. It takes me 10 minutes to get to SF from here (learned that Saturday), and that is awesome. The neighborhood is fabulous- I can walk to everything, have an organic food store downstairs, and The Perfect Sidekick is only about a 15 minute walk. Yet this week has been the funk of all funks. I am sure a lot of this has to do with me moving across country three months ago, and then moving again from North Oakland to downtown. All by choice, but that's a lot of movement. Even if each move is a more positive move than the first, it's still movement.
At this point, I question when I became this person that is so able to adapt to change. Like eerily adaptable. I always thought of myself as one who didn't like change... maybe that is still the case... who knows. (Obviously, I am figuring a lot of things out about myself and life in general at this point... oh, the joys of being in my late 20's)
Back to the point-- I didn't move once as a child. Ever. We were in the same house until I moved out when I was 16. Or 15. Some rebellious teenage year (sorry, mom). For the next 7 years, I lived in 14 different places. I am guessing this is when I learned to adapt. Oh, and maybe the 5 high schools between ages 14 and 15. I think the difference between then and now, is that the move to Tampa was my choice, the move to Oakland was my choice, the move downtown was my choice-- etc. etc. So maybe I am handling all of the change better now because they are all my choices, and that gives me some sense of stability in the chaos. I don't even know where I am going with this.. just randomness...
 I still walk around Oakland and San Francisco wondering how I got here... at times questioning my decision (mainly when I miss my family and feel my mom would be under less stress if I were there to help...)... other times, I am overwhelmed with such gratitude, I can hardly stand it. There are days when the streets are peaceful, there are days when they are cruel. There are days when I can't believe how many amazing experiences I get to have here... I have more opportunities than most have in a lifetime. There are days when I just want to do nothing. There are days when I feel like I'm finding my groove here, there are days when I am completely lonely and it sucks. Most days, I have to remind myself I am doing great. I have done more at work than I thought possible in 90 short days, I've met more people through meetings and TPS than I expected, and am getting out and living life to the fullest on a regular basis. Adaptability. If I keep all of that in the forefront of my mind, everything will be just fine.
Love to all, light to all
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment