Friday, December 13, 2013

Cross Country 2.0... day 2?

I think? Yes, Day 2. 36 hours and 1200 miles down... around 1300 if you count by detour to see Joshua Tree. I must say I was not expecting the physical drain this driving is having on my body. Last time I did this, I had a co-pilot. This time, the step dad and I are driving separately. I do not usually like to complain about my physical state, but ouch. Hella pain. I'm about the foam roll the hell out of my hammies. It doesn't help that my right knee is the bad knee. However, cruise control (when I am not in traffic), seat massager/warmer, and stops for stretching are making it all bearable.
The main differences this year than 19 months ago are above (riding solo) and that I am taking a different route. I am also not driving the big 16 footer with my car towing behind on the flat bed, thank God! And I am not chain smoking, or smoking at all for that matter. I'm also not downing a million slim jims resulting in tons of swelling from the sodium. Nor am I fighting with the step dad. I guess the entire journey is a lot different than last time! China is still being chill about the whole thing.
Today was basically a success. I saw Joshua Tree Nat'l Park.... (For pics, see my FB or Instagram: name is sfbutterfly on there) it was beautiful, but did make me want to go climbing. Thank goodness I listen to my body today. I didn't make the best timing because of this detour but it was worth it. I also saw two shooting stars over New Mexico, only the second time in my life that I have seen back to back shooting stars... the first time was right before I moved from Tampa. Grateful.
The not so pleasant parts of today were the driving part ha. Also, I am now on the book on tape kick (because I'm my mother, apparently?) and my freaking CD player stopped working half way through my second book! It won't spit out or accept discs... I will chalk this up to Friday the 13th and hope it works tomorrow.
Oh, and I am grateful to be alive. There was a huge tire in the road today and had I not been paying attention, I would be seriously injured or dead tonight. I was able to slam on brakes (spilling a gallon of water...) and then get over to safety. China was a bit shaken but we are all good.
I am now in El Paso determining where to go tomorrow. I was going to go to San Antonio then Austin, then up to Oxford to see Jess.... however, my friend that was meeting me in Austin may have to bail so I could be going to Dallas Fort Worth, then Little Rock, then Jess. I've never been to DFW or Little Rock (unless you count airports in Dallas), so I am cool with either option!
For now, I say Good night :)
Love and Light
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment