Wednesday, December 4, 2013

An honest appraisal

This move has been emotionally taxing... Mainly because I keep going back and forth, wondering if I'm making the right decision. Lots of talks with the Spons have helped, lists have helped as well... Also, not listening to those who are negative... Unfortunately, there will always be negative nancies..
See, I moved out here for a job... One I found while I was on vacation here because I talked to a stranger on a bus. So I thought surely it was all meant to be, I'd be here forever, meet someone, have kids, etc. Yet all of that changed when I lost the job. 
I didn't have my hometown in mind until I went back and saw my family, met with my mentors, and drew up a plan with a pro and con list. Florida won. Yet there's still that lingering thought wondering what my purpose was here and if I accomplished all I was supposed to accomplish while living here.  I'm not God, so I cannot answer these questions, but I can take an honest appraisal of what I've accomplished here-- below are my top 10... Because reaffirmations are positive 

1.) I became a professional. Yes, I worked many jobs prior to moving here, but I never was a professional without school... One that travels, networks, gives presentations, trains others, participates in webinars and conference calls, draws up business plans, evaluation plans, write reports, etc.

2.) I quit smoking (hell, that right there is a miracle) and became a vegetarian (tried vegan but that didn't last)

3.) I started dating again. Like legit dates. Yeah, that's not so much fun. Although I may have had a better experience if I wasn't so married to my job. 

4.) I've made some great lifelong friends out here and hosted my first huge dinner party (meaning more than just four people)

5.) I had a few huge personal growth experiences through Landmark and experienced a level of letting go and forgiveness of myself and others that I wasn't aware existed for me...

6.) I experienced my first lay off at the same time I experienced a big health crisis... all the emotions that come with these life events, as well as the beauty that comes; beauty in the sense of being able to fully enjoy life not knowing where my next money will come, keeping my commitments when I was too depressed to move, working with sponsees when I was in so much physical pain I could barely stand, and so on. I won't claim to have handled either situation perfectly, and I am still dealing with the health issues, but I don't have to let it dictate my life today.... Whatever "it" is at any given moment.

7.) Nearly the entire state of California has now been seen and explored by yours truly :)

8.) I allowed myself to let someone go because I knew the two of us had completely different values and goals... This is a huge difference than the "claw mark leaving, holding on til death do us part" Carla.

9.) Date nights with self have continued but I went to the other extreme and had "too much" alone time, so I have re-balanced that by spending more time with people.

10.) Most importantly, I have moved to a city I had only visited once with no family nearby and thrived. Yes, I lived in a very scary neighborhood my first three months here.. gunshots and all.. but I found my place lakeside/downtown and have completely enjoyed the neighborhood. I've survived an asshat roommate and didn't have to be rude or angry. I had my first car burglary and handled it with grace. This town has hit me hard a few times yet I've held my head up and my spirits high. Because we all deserve happiness and serenity, no matter what little piece of the Earth we call home.

Love and Light
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment