Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The single 29 year old- Pros and Cons

Sometimes people ask me if I enjoy being single. If I have any plans on being in a serious relationship anytime soon. I really don't think of it that often. Only when I'm insomniatic or really lonely... The loneliness is rare. See, I spend a lot of time alone, but I'm not lonely. It took many years for me to reach this place of comfort with my own company. It's priceless. Do I miss ex-lovers? One. But more than that, I miss my ex BFF. To me, that relationship was more than anything a lover could have given me. I'm about to get real here but here goes- sexual intimacy, I can do that myself. The emotional intimacy, that is what I crave. Someone who gets me and all my faults and loves me the same. So I can get that from my girlfriends (the platonic ones, smart butts, yeah you know who you are.) So I've come up with a list of pro-single items. It's been years since my last healthy relationship (non platonic) so bare with me here... 

Pros of singlehood
1. I can be on my time, all the time.
2. Traveling solo is much easier, in my opinion. Unless you have an awesome travel companion (rare)
3. I can pick up and move anywhere at any given time.
4. My cat loves all the attention
5. I don't have to obsess about a call or text or wondering when she's coming home (I never really did that anyway)
6. No baggage but my own.
7. More attention to genuine friends and family members because I am not sucked in to the one-tracked mind of love boat
8. My money or lack thereof is my own... Fully self-supporting, independent woman. 
9. I obsess over my weight enough. I don't want to worry about doing this for another's pleasure as well. Then again, a true love will love me no matter my size. 
10. I have too much stuff to share my closet. 

Cons of singlehood
1. Always wondering if I will find that once in a lifetime true love
2. Dating. It just sucks 
3. Online dating. It just sucks 
4. Missing someone to help with the little things... Groceries, household stuff, carrying my things when on crutches. Then again, friends have stepped up to do this (see pro list #7)
5. Wondering if I will do the baby rearing alone (yes, I have a donor dad picked out, but can I handle single motherhood)
6. I'd put cuddling here but there's only one person I ever enjoyed cuddling and she was off limits 
7. I'd put massages but see con list #6 (above)
8. Someone to share all the details of my life with... (See pro list #7)
9. I'm out of cons at the moment

Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment