Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Why I do not drink...

In a couple of weeks, it will be 7 years since I have last had a drink. Some may think it's easier to be a nondrinker the longer one is away from a drink. But most of us in the sober world know this isn't the case. At times, I feel like it's harder than ever. I got sober when I was barely legal- age 21. What many people do not know is I had been in and out of meetings, therapy, treatment centers, jails, churches, halfway houses, etc. since age 15. So by the time I got sober, I was sick of it all. However, I have to remind myself of all of that to this day. Why? Because I know what alcohol did to me. I know the roads it led me down... The drugs, suicide attempts, near death experiences, the person I became... I know the destruction it caused, to myself and those around me. Why am I thinking of this right now? Because it's important to me to remember who I am. At times, I feel I am the only person in my community that doesn't drink. I know this isn't true. I can go to a meeting, hang out with certain co-workers, attend a community event, and find sober people at all of those places. However, to be a 28 year old single lesbian in Oakland/SF, it is rare that I am sober. Very rare. I thought it would be easier after college. Undergrad was difficult, graduate school was harder (grad students can really knock them back!), adult life- even harder. So I have to remind myself at times.
Tonight, I was discussing New Year's with someone. We were talking about costs of a night out- free drinks, food, DJ's, etc. I asked "what if I don't drink?" Someone made the comment that I should. Or something like this. I had to quickly explain that I have been down that road, and it never ended up as something I should have done... unless we want to include jails, institutions, and near death in that list. It was a good reminder to myself though. Isn't that what it's about anyway? To thine own self be true... Regardless of what others are doing, and what looks like the fun thing to do, it all comes down to knowing myself, and knowing where I belong... sober, healthy, and happy. Living my life purposefully and being of maximum service to others. And that is just not possible without my sobriety. That is why I do not drink. I like who I am sober, I enjoy the relationships I have been able to build and sustain through sobriety. Most of all, the connection I feel with my Creator, a connection I was unable to attain under the influence of multiple substances. Through this connection, I am able to live a life that is truly beyond my wildest dreams. And that is why I do not drink...
Love to all, Light to all
DBear

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honesty and true vision. You are a wonderful example to young people ( as well as old ). For anyone to know your story and see what you have achieved with sobriety, should be enough for them to put the drink down. You are the person your creator intended you to be, and continue to grow "one day at a time".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have no idea who posted this, but thank you :)

    ReplyDelete