Friday, March 16, 2012

Journey to my destiny...

Has it only been three days since my last post? So much has happened, where do I begin? Well, the rain came. I am grateful for the 5 days I got here without rain... very nice. And I am grateful for the rain. Why? Because it may be what just changed my life. Allow me to explain...
I was going hiking Wednesday and yesterday (Thursday). Instead, I ended up on the MUNI Wednesday morning, heading somewhere... maybe the museum? Maybe Nob Hill? I cannot recall. I ended up talking to a nice lady about my life and direction and what I am doing in the city, how I hope to move here one day. She asked what I hope to do, and I gave her a board overview of my interests, mostly about Native American Health. She says "you know the Native American AIDS Project is right by my job?" I said, "well, no, I didn't know... can I follow you?" So off I go, to work with this lady, she drops me off downstairs at NAP (Native AIDS Project.) I walk in, a bit nervous, thinking they are going to question this white girl walking in. I have tribal affiliation, yes, but I look VERY white-girl. However, it was quite the opposite. It was a connection of the souls upon first meeting. This very gentle woman, Gayle, would end up helping me tremendously today. But back to Wednesday...
I walk in, explain who I am, who I work with, and what I hope to do... the center instantly knows some of the professors I have learned from, one in particular who was recently lecturing at my College and gave us much wisdom and guidance. I now see how my meeting with one woman from the state of Washington (met her in Tampa) is now connecting me to a group of people here in California. I love that. Back to my day- I meet the director of NAP, and a case manager from the Native American Health Center, Laura. She lets me follow her back to her office. I go there and meet other people and spend the rest of the day volunteering. Yesterday, I go back to that center, participate in an amazing talking circle, attend a graduation at the Friendship House (Treatment Center), and speak with the director of the SF health center, along with being asked for my resume.
Then comes today... I was invited by Gayle (remember her?) to Oakland for beading circle. Let me say, I am not a beader, and after today- I do not know that I will be a beader until I learn more patience. But it was an experience. And I am grateful.
After beading, Gayle asks if I have time to meet with a project director and go upstairs to the media center. It turns out this health center in Oakland has state of the art workings of everything I am in to- photovoice, digital storytelling, community based participatory research, all with natives! PERFECT! I believe walking up those stairs was love at first sight... with my future.
I do not wish to speak too soon on the other details of where these random encounters are leading... but there will be many big changes in the near future for me. I am completely honored, humbled, and grateful to the Spirit of the Universe for these connections, this fate, my destiny.
It appears listening to that inner voice, following that guide, and yes, talking to "strangers" all pay off in the long run... from going to a meeting I wasn't feeling up to attending months ago in Tampa, to quitting one appointment at USF which gave me more time to spend in my current appointment, to refraining from hiking in the rain, to following a stranger off the bus, to following a new friend, volunteering, to waking up and going to Oakland when it was raining and I was tired... many, many more, but you get the idea.
Grateful heart
DBear

1 comment:

  1. The first thought was , "absolutely amazing" and then I realized that this was no mistake and was reminded, once again, that God doesn't make mistakes. Continue to practice willingness and surrender. Let God be in control. I love you Pts!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete