Saturday, December 17, 2011

The ego driven relationships

We have all met that person who has a "human god" in their lives... You know, one who can do no wrong, be it a son or daughter, a spouse or partner, a mentor, anyone... They idolize them and worship the ground they walk on, believing in their heart of hearts that the target of their affection is beyond human, a god of sorts, and can literally do no wrong. I typically call this a raging co-dependent state of mind. It's annoying on its best days, downright destructive on its worst.
But what about when it's the other way around? What about the person who has someone in their life that always does wrong, or at least that's their perception. They can never see the positive, even if it's right in front of their eyes... Especially if it's right in front of their eyes. Maybe they are like this out of fear? Or because they do not believe they deserve positive energy? Or because they simply want to put someone down below them, even if this person is so very close to them- especially if they are close... This type of person can be equally as destructive to their target, if not more so... I do not yet have a name for it... Raging co-dependent doesn't fit... Maybe ego maniac with an inferiority complex...

I have compassion for both types of individuals living out both sides of an unhealthy existence. Why? Because I have been there. I have been the one idolizing another; I've been the one coddled through all of my wrongs; I've been the fault finder who can find no good; and I've been the one who is subject to the wrath of a negative nancy (or Ned.) I simply had not thought of it in this way until tonight. I did know that I had the potential to live on both sides of the fence. I recently attempted to change this with one person and these attempts were refused. This led me to ponder these types of personal relations with deeper insights... What I came up with can be explained by three simple letters... Ego
See, both sides remind me of ego. One is "I can save this person by simply thinking they are the best" or "This person deserves my everything and can do no wrong because I said so" or the other side of ego: "This person does not deserve to be praised for any good they do because in my eyes, they only do wrong, an my eyes are the only set of eyes that matter." whew that's some powerful ego there.
What if I could be different? What if we all could be different? We could all see one another and ourselves for exactly as we are... Fallable human beings capable of "good" and "bad" deserving of praise, yet worthy of honest friends and family who can *gently* point out our faults. That would be humility... Seeing ourselves and each other exactly as we are. Yet where would that leave room for individual perception? That will be another blog for another time. My thoughts until then... Am I being Spiritually guided or emotionally driven?
DBear

No comments:

Post a Comment