Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Top 11 Lessons from 2011

One of the reasons New Year's is my favorite times of year is because it gives me an opportunity to reflect on lessons I have learned in the past year, as well as gratitude for blessings the year has given me. I was going to write 10 lessons from 2011, but I am too anal for that :)

Lesson #1- No matter how far I travel, or how old I become, I will always need my mother. Whether it be for advice, to vent, cooking questions, or just to be here when I am ill, there is nothing like the bond between a mother and daughter. This year, we have grown closer than ever, and I am grateful.

Lesson #2- Never give up. Ever. (Unless you are giving up something that is harming yourself or another... more on that later). For this one, my biggest lesson has to come in the form of education and employment. Not giving up has led to paid tuition, health insurance, all A's this year in my graduate program, and who knows what it will lead to in the future? Many opportunities ahead for 2012 simply because I remained persistent and determined.

Lesson #3- You can let go without leaving claw marks. I learned this the hard way from leaving claw marks in times past. (I am not claiming perfection on this lesson, I just have scratched the surface- all pun intended). This year, I was given the opportunity to let go with love of a couple of friends. I did not have to fight or question it or try to fix it, I could just let go, and today we can talk without them being totally dependent on me. Now, in terms of full disclosure, I have not been able to do that with another, but that relationship is a lot deeper and has been in my life for a much longer period of time. Moving on...

Lesson #4- Always follow your heart. Not following my heart has led to a lot of questioning and anguish this year. More will be discussed on this next year, I am sure... But I am grateful for this realization as it is opening many doors for me in 2012.

Lesson #5- You can do everything in your power to be in control and still feel completely out of control... quote of the year... "my controlling natures are out of control." -Me

Lesson #6- Facebook and text messages are not an adequate substitute for real human interaction. Do you ever miss just talking on the phone for an hour with a friend, or going to coffee and really catching up? I do. It seems the world of social networking and text have robbed us of these interactions. More importantly, they have left too much room for miscommunication and losses in translation...

Lesson #7- Politicians are not gods. Therefore, any politician who judges anyone based on their sexual identity automatically loses my respect. This year has been filled with those... I will just let that one be that...

Lesson #8- No matter how much you give someone- whether it be money, gifts, attention, time, or general overall thoughtfulness- you can not make that person appreciate you. You must be confident enough in yourself to appreciate you. And if that isn't enough, just stop doing for them and they will realize what they had when you're gone :)

Lesson #9- The other thing that is "til death do you part" is life. -Me. That's it. Everything else- you have a choice to take a different path.

Lesson #10- When it seems everyone around you has changed, it may just be that you have changed. And this is okay.

Lesson #11- It is okay to be single for an entire year. It is actually the best decision one can make for themselves. I am beyond grateful I had the opportunity to spend the entire calendar year single :)

1 comment:

  1. I love lesson #1. You, my only daughter, are so very special to me! I love you===PTS!!!!Mom

    ReplyDelete