Monday, February 13, 2012

What would you do....

This weekend, I was given the great honor of having brunch with one of my favorite mentors, Dr. Soldani, and her daughter, Zoe. Doc has recently achieved one of my life's goals- to write, and publish, a book. Not a text book, not something for the world of academia, but a piece of work based on a promise to a former student and her love of life. Although I should be studying for boards, working, and preparing abstracts for conferences, I cannot put this book down. I will not give all of it away, but one part struck me especially deep.
She is standing in front of a new class of students and asks what they would be doing if they won the lottery. (Granted, I was hoping I would win the $336 million powerball, so I was already contemplating this question) One student said "I wouldn't be here!" Doc, in her amazingly exciting passionate voice, says "Oh no! I don't wish that for you! I want you to be happy, now and always, like I am!"
So that had me thinking about the things I would do if money were no object, if I was truly following my passion. Some of these things I already do- travel when I have the chance (and money), learn everything I can learn about every topic I am interested in, contribute to the field of research in behavioral health, serve on task forces, give back to the community, write as often as possible, love as much as possible, etc. Yet I fall short on many of these tasks. I do not go to all the places I would like to go, because that wouldn't be feasible. I do not write as often as I would like because I find excuses- some are plausible, like I have an assignment to turn in; some are flat out crap- I don't feel enough inspiration. The truth is the inspiration is always there if I only sit still enough to let it fill me, let it flow.
So what then would I do if I won the lottery? How would my life change? For one, I would not let fear hold me back from my dreams. Yes, I would finish my education, but I would apply to schools and move to cities I know I cannot afford for my PhD. I would not hesitate to move to the places I feel would help me reach the goals I have in mind. I would take classes for fun- photography, art, writing, acting. I would still work, but part time, until I feel I have learned enough to make the biggest difference possible in others lives. People who do not feel loved, worthy, deserving of good things; people who have had to go through horrible experiences and do not have the support I have been given; people who feel like giving up. Whether I help them through art, poetry, music, counseling, speaking, whatever it may be- I would learn as much as I can, practice as much as I can, and do as much as I can to reach those people. And, of course, I would build my mom the biggest house she would like, which wouldn't be big at all knowing her, but it would have a giant kitchen :)

P.S. If you have not purchased "Marvin's Book" by M. Soldani-Lemon, do it! You will not be disappointed

No comments:

Post a Comment