Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Laughing at the lesson

(excuse the grammar, it's 3:15... or 12:15... I've had a 16 hour day that was "supposed" to be easy)
 
It’s amazing how cranky I can become when things do not go my way. Here I am, celebrating many milestones this week and I’m just a kvetching. Kvetching about flight plans not going my way. About going to D.C. and not getting enough time there to do things I want to do. Because I have to work. Blah blah blah blah blah.

It all started this morning when I woke up. Yep. The chatter begins before my feet even hit the floor. I was all in my head about this trip and instead of being excited about coming to D.C. to represent this amazing community, our youth, and our agency, I was more perturbed that I was coming to D.C. not getting to explore. (Keep in mind, I always wanted a job that would provide me with travel too..) Then, I get all ready and get to the airport. I’m thinking wow, this is a breeze. No traffic, no lines, easy. I did realize I was not allowed priority boarding though because the trip was booked with the company’s card, and not my personal United card.
First hissy fit. (In my head, of course).
But it’s ok. Really. It is. So as we line up to board, I am noticing how many people have bags that are oversized and clearly do not meet the requirements. I automatically know that there will not be enough overhead space for my bag because I was not given the priority boarding and I am sitting in Economy Plus (I always pay extra to fly in Plus because of my claustrophobia, that’s another thing I could kvetch about… but I let it go). So basically, we board, my bag ends up allllll the way back in row 25. I am in row 11.
Second hissy fit (in my head, of course).
We sit on the run way for about a half hour, then we are told there are mechanical issues. Keep in mind, this same thing happened my last trip when I was headed to Philly. I’m thinking “you have got to be kidding me, this plane was on the runway for at least two hours and you JUST now see mechanical issues?!” So apparently they cannot fix it, and we de-plane. Which means I have to let alllll these people get off before me because my bag is wayyyy back in row 25. So we de-plane. I expect they will just bring us another bird. That’s what typically happens. Nope. Flight is cancelled. CANCELLED! I have to be in D.C. tomorrow!
Third hissy fit (in my head, of course)
So I get on the phone (which is about to die… oh, I forgot to mention I paid $15 for a phone charger at the airport that didn’t actually charge my iPhone, then I lost it and couldn’t return it.. and ended up buying a $30 charger for the iPhone.. that was a mini hissy fit.. in my head, of course).. so anyway, I’m on the phone with United immediately. While I stand in land at customer service too. Basically, they went ahead and put me on the same plane that would leave tomorrow without asking me (which is now today because it is 3:15 am EST). I said no, that will not work, at all. So what do they do instead? Fly me to Dulles. Not Reagan. Dulles. But I got the flight. And I got the economy plus seat I really wanted. However, I get behind two of the most annoying girls I have ever heard speak in my entire life. How can two girls like talk for like 5 hours like oh my god? Yes. 5 hours of that. Skip the hissy fit and shoot me now. But I made it. We made it. I did politely ask them to pipe down, but they denied my request. So I get to Dulles. The ugliest, rankiest airport I have ever set foot in by the way… not knowing if my luggage will be there or not. There must have been at least one traveling god shining down on me because my luggage was there!

So here I am, in a cab (that will cost about $60) on my way to what apparently is a very famous hotel. And guess what? The cab driver needs to stop for gas. LOL. I can only laugh at this point. Today’s lesson must be patience.

3 comments:

  1. I should add a gratitude list here...
    I did get some amazing workflows done in flight (my new work obsession) and policy planning..
    I am celebrating my one year at NAHC today (the 11th), my one year in Oakland was the 7th, and my 6 year other bday was the 7th... that's a whole lot of gratitude there..
    I got a random call from an old friend today and we picked up like no time has passed...
    My huge network of friends of bill, no matter where I am...
    and the "I love you, a bushel and a peck" song I've had stuck in my head since yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I am laughing like crazy right now. I can just SEE you through all of this! I am sure it wasn't funny at the time, but glad you (and I) can laugh now! I love you and it gives me joy to observe your growth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a day to forget! Now add getting booted from the gym and you're at the gold standard. LOL

    ReplyDelete